Re: [Icehouse] Better variants?

  • FromChristopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 24 Jan 2008 10:01:52 -0800
On Thursday, January 24, 2008, at 12:56PM, "Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Sam Z. wrote:
>> It makes me wonder if there are any other major leaps like this
>> to be made regarding already well established Icehouse games?
>
>It's always been my opinion that the energy spent "fixing"
>existing games would be better spent designing, testing, and
>playing brand new games.

But sometimes there is a legitimate problem to solve.  Zendo, while being my favorite Icehouse game, does take a lot of time and space (and pyramids) to play.  Ikkozendo solves some of those problems while still remaining true to the game.

>Variants can be fun from time to time but pushing "new" versions
>of established games sometimes causes a split between fans that
>winds up effectively killing both the old and the new.

I respectfully disagree.  Variants have their time and place and my playgroup at least can maintain a distinction.