RE: [Icehouse] IGDC rankings idea

  • FromDale Sheldon <dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 20 Feb 2008 12:52:26 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008, David Artman wrote:

More thoughts, please. I think I am liking this A&T points method more than CRP, purely based on instinct

Instincts are flawed.

(This is not an attack on you, just a digression on voting.)

Instincts presume that most people think mostly like you. Instincts presume that the categories you are evaluating on are the same as everyone elses, that the relative importance of those categories is the same as everyone else. Instincts presume only two (or maybe three) choices, and fail spectacularly when they try to generalize to more than that, assuming that it's "mostly the same, just more", which is incorrect.

Instincts are a poor way to evaulate voting methods.

and the fact that I can actually do my own solution with it!

I did this vote's solution by hand, in between fits of work. I can show you how, if it'll improve your opinion of the method :)

--
Dale Sheldon
dales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx