RE: [Icehouse] IGDC rankings idea

  • DateThu, 21 Feb 2008 11:42:55 -0700
> From: Doug Orleans <dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx>
> my Tivo knows that!) was recommending "range voting", where each voter
> rates every candidate on a scale (e.g., 0 to 10).  The winner is then
> the candidate who gets the highest average rating.  I'm not convinced

Highest average, or highest total? Seems to me that either could work.

And I, too, agree that publishing all ballots goes a long way toward
assuring that folks vote relatively honestly.

What's I'd also like to consider/discuss is how to get complete ballots,
short of requiring them (i.e. all games ranked somewhere). We nominally
only want rankings based on actual play, but when folks submit ballots
that are clearly the result of brief, hurried play is that giving us any
real value? The Procedures ask that only played games be ranked... but
maybe that should get the kabosh in favor of a "rank all games for your
ballot to be counted" rule. I mean, heck--last time around, we had six
ballots with three or fewer games ranked, and a whole MESS of ballots
with only four or five.

That HAD to hurt some folks--in as much as "Winning" these comps should
be an actual goal.
David