Re: [Icehouse] Zark City: Can a player attack her own piece?

  • FromCarl Worth <cworth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 25 Feb 2008 16:53:28 -0800
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 01:37:15 +0100, "Jorge Arroyo" wrote:
> I gave the game a try today and found it to be longer than it seemed. It was
> interesting, with a lot of hand management. Figure cards were hard to come
> by, so I'm not sure it's very wise spending them with your own pieces. It's
> hard enough to eliminate the opposition with the available figure
> cards...

Yeah, I almost said as much in my second message.

The question first came to mind when reading the rules, before ever
playing. After playing a round, I see that stash management often
happens through using grow to free up a small piece that can then be
spawned elsewhere. Also, the opponent will sometimes give pieces back
in attacks.

And in the game I played, it was certainly the case that I always
wanted to save any attacks for my opponent. But I could still imagine
a case where I've got my stash entirely empty, and it might be more
efficient to do a self-attack-and-spawn instead of a long series of
moves.

That might still be a rare or far-fetched scenario, (I'll have to play
more before I have any idea), but I'm still curious to hear if a
self-attack was intended to be legal or not.

> I like that the game's rules are simple and it plays very fast. Will play it
> more over the coming days...

Agreed.

-Carl