Re: [Icehouse] Zendo rules

  • FromBuddha Buck <blaisepascal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 8 Mar 2009 20:14:39 -0500
On 3/8/09, David L. Willson <DLWillson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think you missed the part where he admitted that he was mis-marking 1-pip
> koans as not having the Buddha nature.

But he wasn't mismarking them.  1 isn't prime, despite what his
players may have thought.

Even if he had been mistaken, he was consistent in his rule.  His
statement of his rule may have been wrong, but the statement doesn't
matter if the rule is consistent.

> Mismarking koans, and leaving them mis-marked, is sufficient justification
> for a master-thumping.

True, but the real problem is inconsistentcy.   The mark of a
successful guess is the lack of a counterexample.  In this case the
guess of "pip count is prime greater than one" would have been
consistent with all marked koans and would have won.  There would have
been a problem if the players could, after hearing the rule, could
have pointed to two koans with the same pip count but different
markings.