Re: [Icehouse] Zendo rules

  • From"Daniel W. Johnson" <panoptes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 9 Mar 2009 00:38:35 -0400
At 00:21 -0500 2009-03-09, Jeff Wolfe wrote:
During the same session, we also discussed the possibility of having rules
referencing prime numbers, and whether one is a prime.

I once created a rule that ended up harder than I expected because a student thought that zero was odd.

  I have in the past
had arguments over the primality of the number one (while playing Zendo), so
I now carry around a printout of the following web page:

http://primes.utm.edu/notes/faq/one.html

My friends were amused when I brought it out.  I'm not sure what it means
that my geeky friends seem to think I'm too geeky.

I would put the explanation as this: If you are going to do anything with primes other than ask "Is this number a prime?", one "definition" leads to extensive use of the phrase "prime other than one". It's much easier to just go with the other definition from the start.
--
Daniel W. Johnson
panoptes@xxxxxxxxxx