Re: [Icehouse] Zendo rules

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 12 Mar 2009 12:39:34 -0400
On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:30:24AM -0500, Timothy Hunt wrote:
> > The issue, of course, is that a "simple" statement to someone used to
> > the assumptions of logic may be hideously complex to somebody who isn't
> > ("What do you mean the rule is 'Either there are no blue pyramids or all
> > blue pyramids must be flat'? That's too hard!"), and vice versa ("Your
> > rule was 'There must be at least one blue pyramid AND all blue pyramids
> > must be flat'? I thought you said it didn't require a compound
> > statement!")
>
> Which is why Kory made the (IMO) excellent choice to disallow the null koan.

Yeah, although notice that my last example is a problem even without the
null koan.  The null koan just introduces a lot *more* corner cases,
which are more likely to have this confusion.  As stated elsewhere, it's
also hard to see on the table.

While I happen to like playing with the null koan, I'm inclined to
agree that it's best it not be in the official rules.  For the reasons
discussed.