[Icehouse] Fall competition

  • FromAnthony Kapolka <anthony.kapolka@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 28 May 2009 23:08:47 -0400

From: David Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx>

I suppose the Fall one *will* have to be open, eh? Probably for the best, if the class jumps in--some of the more "esoteric" design restrictions could be tough on a new designer. Plus, having 30ish games within a particular restriction would be... kind of over-doing it, unless it was a VERY broad restriction (e.g. "must use dice or a chess board").

I'm the guy teaching the class, and I'm interested in knowing the restrictions and the competition dates so I can make some decisions and put some info on my syllabus - an example of the sort of decision I need to make is whether to require students buy one treehouse set or three (plus maybe 3HOUSE).   If you restrict the game to using two stacks, for example, I shouldn't have them buy three.  I should decide what I need the bookstore to order soon.

If you are willing to go with no restrictions, you might get better games... or at least, more diverse games...

Thanks!
Anthony