Looney Labs Icehouse Mailing list Archive
Re: [Icehouse] New Icehouse/Decktet hybrid game >> Dectana
- FromDavid Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx>
- DateWed, 21 Oct 2009 09:58:17 -0400
Dale, I love discussion. But I don't think asking someone to do a Google search (and then, I suppose, copy and paste the results) is a discussion. I found it amusing that it was a text post from an iPhone--not exactly tough to do a Google search from that device (as opposed to, say, on a cell phone with only email connectivity).
As a SPRINGBOARD for discussion, it would have been kind of cool had the Ryan given an overview, or even talked about how it plays differently from Gnostica (which it must, right?). But maybe he was just announcing, like so many other folks do with Icehouse games: "made a game, here's a link, check it out." (Ironically, rambling on for ten paragraphs pitching one's game is... rude, right? Being a shill. Damned if ya do, etc.)
And, LO!, now we have a discussion: how to best-use an alpha-tech mailing list in an age of gamma-tech Facebook, Google Wave, ubiquitous search, wikis and fora for every possible subject, etc. I think announcements are a solid choice (about all that Facebook is REALLY useful for anyway... but don't get me started on THAT rant). :)
I think that discussion of rule tweaks and game play are awesome in this venue, mainly because (a) the Icehousegames wiki doesn't have a forum and (b) discussion on Talk pages is, at best, tough to organize.
So... what's Dectana like, Ryan? How does the play differ from Gnostica:
* Longer or shorter games?
* Less or more early paralysis by analysis (i.e. how many initial opening strategies are there, comparatively)?
* Less or more volatile or subject to swings of fortune?
* Less or more variety of tactics or general strategies?
* Do strategic options blossom or prune (i.e. do you have to take a tack and stick to it, or can you switch gears in mid-game)?
Sorry my post was so long. Posting with a computer. ;)