Re: [Icehouse] Suggestions for future Icehouse Game Design Competitions

  • FromDavid Artman <david.artman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 3 Nov 2009 11:02:26 -0500
The last IGDC was design-restricted; and we've generally alternated restriction/no restriction because opinions vary widely between the "constraints breed creativity" and "design what you want to play" camps.

That said, fall is just about come and gone--we're almost half way through it--and it was thought that Spring/Fall alternating was the way to go (Summer/Winter seemed to cost us eyes, due to various school breaks and vacationing). I'm more of the opinion that it should be annual, now: it would carry more "weight" as an annual competition; and I am beginning to suspect we are approaching the "variations" stage of any modular game system. (If I were to suggest a design restriction, it would be "a game that uses a totally unique mechanic or interface," just to kick the challenge up to 11.)

All that said: y'all's thoughts? Is anyone hankering ffor an IGDC, now that convention season is winding down? Should it just be annual for a while, the better to increase its attention? The next one was supposed to be open design, by the alternating format: should we reconsider?

I am but a facilitator, good with web markup languages and spreadsheets. The IGDC is about the designers who contribute, the promoters who get eyes on it (and hopefully draw new iceheads into the fold), and the reviewers and judges who help to refine and eventually reward the best games. I can roll a new IGDC 2010 (or Winter 2009) page in a matter of minutes.

David