Re: [Icehouse] 2009 pyramid game awards: who wants to help

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 14 May 2010 11:16:38 -0400
Thanks for responding, Jeff.  After saying "Who would like to help?",
I was thinking "I find the sudden silence ver-r-r-r-r-r-ry
reassuring."

I agree with the idea of "no award" being possible.  Your wanting an
Excellence award is similar to an idea I was going to propose anyway,
so I might as well mention it now:

Starting next year, which will be a big year for pyramid games from
the Labs, I propose that the Icehouse community open up an Icehouse
Games Hall of Fame, which will contain games that have stood the test
of time and are still judged excellent.  Ten years as the minimum time
since invention strikes me as a good amount of time, and both official
Looney Labs games and fan-made games would be eligible.  The Hall of
Fame will open with a few select classic games, and every year more
can be added -- probably one game, but perhaps more, perhaps none --
as more games reach the age that they can be considered.

Back to your thoughts, Jeff.  I think it would be good to have both
types of awards: a Hall of Fame Award for true excellence over the
years, and an annual Apex Award (or whatever its name will be) for the
best new game(s) of the year -- which could still have No Award if no
good fan-made game was made that year.

Now, back to *my* original question: would anyone like to help with
selecting the finalists for an award this year, either with an initial
pass, or an intermediate pass?

Even if you all don't have time to help judge, your thoughts about the
awards are desired.  Let's get this off the ground!

Regards,
Bryan