[Rabbits] [Event] Dragon*Con '05 = Good by Sharon Burdick

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 10 Sep 2005 14:36:15 -0000
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Sharon Burdick has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=lydiabug

========
Title: Dragon*Con '05 = Good
Location: Atlanta, GA
Date: Sept 1-5

Dragon*Con was absolutely terrific! I can't believe that in one short year I've gone from newbie Fluxx player to owner of my own 4 stashes of Giant Icehouse Pyramids! And now I'm even on the rabbit list!

I don't know how many hours I helped teach Giant IceTowers and Giant Volcano on Saturday and Sunday nights, but enough to shoot my voice until Wednesday. (To be fair, I did come down with a cold on top of the general hoarseness.) I also got to play two games of Giant Circular Fluxx, one with 32 people and the other with 24. Major kudos to Marc for dealing with rules explanation to that many people in the overloud, acoustically terrible gaming room, and for actually taking my suggestions seriously after the first game!

Demonstrating to so many people at once really stretched my teaching abilities. I was pleasantly surprised by how fast everyone picked up Volcano with David and I explaining the rules. They seemed really complicated to me the first time I played! Everyone associated with LL dealt admirably with the hearing-impaired girl - I think her name was Liz - who LOVED Giant IceTowers and especially the purple and the rainbow (Amy's) pyramids. We got most of her entire family playing something by the end of the Con. Her parents spotted me somewhere else on Monday and thanked me profusely for including their daughter in the game. I got the impression that there were few strangers that just accepted and integrated her with no problem.

I hadn't really realized how much verbal communication goes on during a newbie game of IceTowers. You're constantly pointing out good opportunities to split or mine, or little strategy hints, or telling people not to two-fist (which can come out sounding a little wrong if you say it sleep-deprived, but I digress). I briefly talked to a man in a wheelchair who didn't seem interested enough to stick around and learn the rules, but I think we would have made the game accommodate him as well. Maybe a larger playing area and making all the two-legged players hop on one foot to slow them down, or something? Anyway, what I'm really trying to say is that I'm once again impressed by the adaptability and fun quotient of LL games, and the acceptance and enthusiasm of all the staff and rabbits. And  I want to run out and learn sign language now.

I can't wait to demo again next year!

~Sharon