[Rabbits] [Event] Maryland Faerie Festival by Jaimee Wurzel

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 22 May 2006 23:32:13 -0400
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Jaimee Wurzel has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=muzikmaker21

========
Title: Maryland Faerie Festival
Location: Upper Marlboro, MD
Date: 5/20-5/21

Our experiment, which took place at the Maryland Faerie Festival, was quite a success.  However, our [assigned] space on the first day (5/20) was located in what we took to referring to as "The Black Hole of Calcutta"- or the "Educational Outreach" section.  This was located quite a distance away from the rest of the action at the festival and since the map said that the only thing on that particular part of the wide, open field was Educational Outreach, my guessing is that no one wanted to hike that far for something that may have been quite boring.  Also, Looney Labs was not given any mention at all in the festival program, despite the fact that the event was planned about three months in advance.

We made a relatively elaborate schedule of events for both days, but did away with it on the first day because there were so few people playing with us.  We had two people, however, who stayed for most of the day and learned all of the games that they didn't already know (Treehouse was quite popular).  I made quite a few contacts with people wishing to have demos at schools, community centers, and even a children's hospital.

On the second day (5/21), I asked the festival coordinators for permission to move elsewhere and was granted a space near a bunch of tarot readers and other healer types.  The slight incline at this new location, exacerbated slightly by the 35-40 m.p.h. gusts of wind, was hardly a reason to keep us from playing a few rounds of Chrononauts and other games with lots of cards and things that fly away easily.  However, the festival in general was off to a relatively slow start and was not very heavily populated for the remainder of the day, but I walked around where most of the action was (donning lab coat and ears, obviously), and handed out flyers (also explaining to people that since we weren't selling anything, there was no pressure to buy anything today- this helped quite a bit).  The end result was that we eventually had enough people for a six-person game of Zendo AND a game of Are You A Werewolf? (a HUGE hit) at the same time!