[Rabbits] [Event] GenCon 2006 by Amy LoCurto

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 20 Aug 2006 16:12:12 -0400
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Amy LoCurto has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=Franny

========
Title: GenCon 2006
Location: Indianapolis IN
Date: 8/10 - 13/2006

Going to GenCon isn't easy (the date is real bad) but it is absolutely worth it!  I got to run two Fluxx Tourneys (using Tucker's system - though I came up with a new rotation style) and gave out one-of-a-kind T-shirts for prizes (I love giving out prizes) as well as worked with Marc (who is fabulous) running Andy vs. Everybody.

I learned a few things about Andy vs. Everybody that I would like to share.
1) set up lots of space, the first day I only had 4 tables, even with 6 the second day, we were full. Have a won/lost record sheet ready to keep track for Andy.
2) Andy prefers large games over small (i.e. if five people are playing against him in Fluxx, they are less likely to be waiting on him and therefore don't get bored) so although people will ask to play one-on-one against him, encourage larger games.
3)Have candy for everyone, people love sugar (and I think Andy likes chocolate??)
4) Make sure you play a game against Andy too, it is way more fun that way.
5)If you are playing Just Desserts, you don't have to wait on Andy, he just misses out on the chance to satisfy a picky eater and will steal it when he gets there.  If you haven't tried the new rules for Just Desserts, DO!! They got it right this time.
6)If people have to "paytoplay" check the tickets when you collect them, someone gave me a ticket for the costume contest (pretty slick actually)
7)About 15 minutes before it is supposed to be over, ask players to not start new games.  Usually Andy has been working the booth and, although not complaining, probally should take a break and eat something with his feet up.

As for the rest of the weekend, I worked in the booth for a short while.  It actually was rather intimidating, but I guess it went well.  I also hung around the Lab quite a bit teaching games to people, handing out trees (I had an identity crisis at one point, which tree am I????????)and stickers, helping people earn their flowers.  At onepoint I was playing volcano against three different opponents becasue they wandered in at different times and I didn't want them to have to wait.  I also got to play Kriaten in Volcano again, which is always much much fun, and got to teach my big sister what "all this gaming stuff" was about.

Kudos to everyone who did such a great job too.  Marc (who seemed to be my partner in crime), Mike and Megan (who might as well have set up a tent in the Lab, I am not sure Mike ever slowed down), Shane (who started off what turned into a AYAW marathon with well over 150 players throughout the weekend - I think at one point there were 5 villages), Kat (who showed true Indy hospitality and likewise seemd always to be attending to visiters to the Lab).  I wish I could go every year, but alas, work gets in the way.

Most of all, we all need to say a HUGE thank you to our wonderful coordinator, who ran the Lab while the Looneys ran the booth, who covered any and all blanks in the schedule, covered for rabbits who had to be elsewher for "just 15 minutes", who opened up early, closed up late, "forgot" to take breaks, welcomed all of our visiters, worked with the GenCon staff to make the ribbons a way to welcome everyone to our room without the teadiousness (and expense) of individual tickets, who greeted and taught and smiled and hugged and cared for us & appreciated us.  Josh really is "he who gets it done, and done well" in my book.  So.....yeh Josh!

Thanks for a great Con, maybe I can come back in a few years if my boss will let me.

Love,
Pixie Wabbit (aka Amy)