Re: [Rabbits] [Event] GenCon 2006 by Amy LoCurto

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 21 Aug 2006 16:01:11 -0400
I seem to have gotten a bit longwinded here, but I thought a few of the
things Amy said bore comment/discussion.

On Sun, Aug 20, 2006 at 04:12:12PM -0400, Amy LoCurto wrote:

> I learned a few things about Andy vs. Everybody that I would like to
> share.
> 1) set up lots of space, the first day I only had 4 tables, even with
> 6 the second day, we were full. Have a won/lost record sheet ready to
> keep track for Andy.

I still think, at least with a U-shaped setup like we had at GenCon,
that a large blackboard/whiteboard/posterboard for an "official"
scoreboard would be a lot of fun.  If it's put somewhere that all the
players can see, it has the extra advantage that you don't have to worry
about the scorekeeper missing results because the players will help
police.  And I just think it would be neat.

Otherwise, it's helpful if the players know who the official scorekeeper
Rabbit is.  That way they can shout victories at that person and make
sure [s]he acknowledges them.

> 2) Andy prefers large games over small (i.e. if five people are
> playing against him in Fluxx, they are less likely to be waiting on
> him and therefore don't get bored) so although people will ask to play
> one-on-one against him, encourage larger games.

I got that sense very strongly as well, with the possible exception of a
token game of Binary Homeworlds.  Andy, does your love of Homeworlds
exceed your preference for large games?  Does the fact that Homeworlds
players will tend not to be much bothered by the waiting help here?

> 4) Make sure you play a game against Andy too, it is way more fun that
> way.

But make sure your game doesn't create more downtime for the other
players (I struck a poor balance there on day two at first) or distract
you from keeping an eye on things running smoothly.  I thought the Giant
Treehouse from Rabbits spread around the circle was rather perfect for
this.

> 6)If people have to "paytoplay" check the tickets when you collect
> them, someone gave me a ticket for the costume contest (pretty slick
> actually)

Oooh, good advice.  I'm not sure I thought to do that every time I
collected a ticket.  Kristin, you were looking for feedback on the "How
to be a Rabbit" paper.  If this bit of wisdom isn't already on there, it
should be for any ticketed conventions.

> 7)About 15 minutes before it is supposed to be over, ask players to
> not start new games.  Usually Andy has been working the booth and,
> although not complaining, probally should take a break and eat
> something with his feet up.

I'm going to generalize this last bit to advice for all Rabbits at a
convention.  If in doubt, an employee of Looney Labs has been working
too long and needs to take a break, sit down, and get something to eat.

> Shane (who started off what turned into a AYAW marathon with well over
> 150 players throughout the weekend - I think at one point there were 5
> villages)

There was at least a two hour span on each of Friday and Saturday nights
(when I was counting) with 5 full villages.  That's 75 simultaneous
players.  Saturday night I think we even got a bit above that, with a
couple of the villages bulging a bit to 17 players during a moderator
shortage.

> Most of all, we all need to say a HUGE thank you to our wonderful
> coordinator, who ran the Lab while the Looneys ran the booth, who
> covered any and all blanks in the schedule, covered for rabbits who
> had to be elsewher for "just 15 minutes", who opened up early, closed
> up late, "forgot" to take breaks, welcomed all of our visiters, worked
> with the GenCon staff to make the ribbons a way to welcome everyone to
> our room without the teadiousness (and expense) of individual tickets,
> who greeted and taught and smiled and hugged and cared for us &
> appreciated us.  Josh really is "he who gets it done, and done well"
> in my book.  So.....yeh Josh!

Hear, hear!  Josh, you were amazing.