[Rabbits] [Event] Family Games Day by Jennifer Waddington

  • FromSuperFRED <superfred@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 27 Jun 2007 11:08:39 -0400
This is an auto-generated report from SuperFRED regarding an event that Jennifer Waddington has submitted.
http://rabbits.looneylabs.com/?RabbitUserID=EvilKitten

========
Title: Family Games Day
Location: Birmingham, UK
Date: 28th April 2007

This was a pre-convention event run by the UK Games Expo people, to promote their event and get things started.
Of course, the fact that Birmingham has an incredibly cool children's library which is perfect for this sort of thing didn't hurt, either.
The tables provided had smooth wooden surfaces, which saved on table covers, and they were large enough in area that I was able to corral four - one for 'come play this' displaying (and emergency extra play space), two for continual play and one for a colouring-in activity area.
The colouring-in thing was something I was looking at offering at the Games Expo, for younger members of the family who might want something to keep them occupied while mom, dad and siblings played. I was encouraged in trying it out at the library by the organisers, who had found out that the regular arts and crafts man on their staff was out on leave that weekend.
The day only ran from 10 until 5, but we had people coming up to either play or talk about the games pretty much consistently (including my parents, who thought that they'd drop in - and they brought me a snack - thanks Mom). Even other demonstrators and the library staff came by to play. (Especially one librarian who is a Fluxx fan; he is now hooked on Treehouse as well.)
Luckily, the local games store is a 5 minute walk from the library, so nobody tried to pinch my Treehouse sets this time around - they just copied down directions and went shopping themselves. I checked with the store later on, and they fully blamed me for the amount of extras they'd had to now order...
Treehouse and Martian Coasters were extremely popular with both adults and children, which helped me to decide in favour of running tournaments at Games Expo.
Also there as part of the general fun activities was a hair braider. This made Aquarius rather fun, when half your players are showing up with about 10 colours tied into their hair.
Everything started to wind down around 4:30, and by 5 we were packed and off. While we didn't run an official Experiment, promo cards were given out to people who played three or more different games, and a teaching student requested one of my spare Ice7 packs to help her with ideas for an educational game module she was studying.