RE: Religious Fluxx WAS RE: [Rabbits] [Event] UK Games Expo '07 byJennifer Waddington

  • From"Chris Simms" <liquidbeard@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 28 Jun 2007 10:13:39 +0100

>In the interests of diversity are there plans to develop boosters to
>represent other religious or systems of belief? Perhaps Muslim, Hindu,
>Buddhism, 'Paganism'? On that subject what about Scientific Fluxx
>providing the (arguably) areligious take on things? (And for the record,
>while I generally defer to a more scientific view of the world, I still
>consider it a belief system based on the number of various theoreticals
>about the nature of the universe. This is my personal opinion, YMMV.)
>The possibililty of diversifying the religious expansion sets was a
>point that I was directly questioned on.
>
>Am I alone in thinking this? Has anyone else been approached when
>they've been demoing with this subject?
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Nimrod...

The mention of Scientific Fluxx certainly got me thinking! I think it would have huge educational value and simultaneously be appealing to a great deal of gaming geeks. While we're on the subject, it would be very plausible to make a Chrononauts pack in the same light called "Science & Innovation Pack" or something... what if Edison electricuted himself developing the lightbulb? Flip the "US Implements AC Power Distribution" card. I don't think that that would be a great idea, financially or logistically, but I think a quick survey of Science Fluxx would get some good feedback. Well... I'd buy it. I'm not sure Atheist Fluxx would do so well, especially in the US.

As for religious Fluxx I think that's a matter very much up to the concience of the buyer. I don't have the numbers, but I can only imagine these packs sell better in America because of its high-income low-secularised society. From an idealist point of view it would be nice to have a Fluxx pack for every occasion, even to learn about a religion, but the fact is that diversifying the line to esoteric religious beliefs is not a profitable venture. Maybe a "Religions" pack that contains cards dealing with a wide variety of commonly-held religious belief systems, or even a "Philosophy" pack.

LiquidBeard

Has an email ever changed your life? Tell MSN about it!