Re: Gamer bar -- was: Re: [Rabbits] no more hobby store.... I am sad

  • FromMarnen Laibow-Koser <marnen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 08 Aug 2007 12:31:26 -0400
On Aug 8, 2007, at 11:02 AM, David Artman wrote:
[...]
On 8/7/07, Marnen Laibow-Koser <marnen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
(As for "the restaurant will become a nightmare with unsupervised
children"--Look up "straw man argument" on wikipedia.)

The misrepresentation was with "unsupervised."

If I have raised a straw man here, then it was through genuine misunderstanding, not through malice. Please don't assume that I'm Out To Get You [TM], facts be damned -- it's not the case.

At no point did I state
or imply that children playing in the "kid-friendly" areas would be
unsupervised,
[...]
Who supervises them, you might ask?
[supervision proposal deleted]

Fair enough. I had this vision of the parents being in the bar and the kids basically fending for themselves. This looks more reasonable than I had feared.

[...]
So... you did not reply to the question I asked about your theory of the
inverse relationship between tobacco and gamers...

I have no particular theory on this. In fact, I haven't said anything at all about tobacco in this thread, so I'm not sure what you're driving at here.

perhaps you will
respond to this one:
Do you feel there are a special circumstances endemic to gamers whereby
they are less easily supervised in a potentially dangerous environment
than skate punks on 12 foot half pipes?

Perhaps, yes. The skate punks are running off their excess energy, and no one really cares if they're noisy or unruly. A game store is a different sort of environment, with a few more behavior rules.

That said, I don't think the problems here are insurmountable. If you do decide to go for this idea, I wish you the best of luck, and I would be curious to drop in and see the place if I'm ever in the area.

David

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser