Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

[Eco] BS on the BS

  • Fromginohn <ginohn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 30 Jan 2007 00:43:20 -0500
OK, so I finally watched the Penn & Teller Bullshit! show on uncycling, and I remain unconvinced. P&T used a very short, vague list of supporters to represent their cause, and I had to do some extra searching to find out who they were and what they represented. Here is the cast of characters that I tracked down:

Daniel K. Benjamin is a senior fellow at Property and Environment Research Center (PERC), a conservative libertarian think tank which publishes policy papers and press releases to further their agenda. This guy's statement was used through most of the show. His "ground breaking paper" was not a peer reviewed scientific paper, rather it was a policy paper out of the Hoover Institute titled Political Environmentalism. The Hoover Institute, a conservative libertarian think tank which publishes policy papers and press releases to further their agenda, is funded in part by Exxon Mobil, ARCO, Ford, General Motors, and Proctor and Gamble.

Angela Logomasini works for the Competitive Enterprise Institute, a conservative libertarian think tank which publishes policy papers and press releases to further their agenda. They are infamous for arguing, sometimes in paid commercials, that global warming is not a problem, second hand smoke is not a problem, and recycling is a problem. This is not surprising since much of their funding comes from Amoco, Coca-Cola, Ford, Philip Morris, Pfizer, and Texaco.

John Tierney was not named in the show, but for some reason Penn spent a long time quoting one of his opinion pieces from the New York Times, where Tierney had a short stint as an op-ed writer. The quote that Penn took from Tierney's 1996 article went like this: "Recycling may be the most wasteful activity in modern America: a waste of time and money, a waste of human and natural resources." The entire article can be found here:
<http://www.williams.edu/HistSci/curriculum/101/garbage.html>.
Needless to say, it's a ten-year old opinion piece, and doesn't carry as much weight for me as it must have for P&T. Incidentally, the article, titled "Recycling is Garbage," broke the New York Times Magazine's hate mail record, according to Wikipedia. A series of rebuttals to some of the article's claims can be found here:
<http://www.environmentaldefense.org/documents/611_ACF17F.htm#summary>.

If I were to take a wild guess, I'd say Penn & Teller (or at least Penn) are conservative libertarians interested in furthering their agenda. While I've got no problem with that, I don't think Bullshit performs quite the thorough research it pretends to. Like they say, "Everybody got a gree-gree," and P&T do too, in spades, and they're promoting theirs quite effectively. They tell people to do their homework, yet their own incomplete homework has a selective bias - the same kind of selective bias I've heard Penn rail against on his radio show. That smacks of hypocrisy and trickery. (They are tricky guys. I love their magic shows. BTW, Penn Jillette is also a research fellow at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank which publishes policy papers and press releases to further their agenda.)

In general, I like Penn & Teller. They are funny and brash. And I happen to agree - possibly holding onto some gree-grees of my own here - with a lot of their skeptical viewpoints against some very popular gree-grees (gods, ufos, ghosts, etc.). When it first began airing, I hoped their show would advocate and advance critical thinking, but after watching a few episodes I now consider BS to be "for entertainment purposes only," and even as entertainment, it's kind of mediocre compared to other P&T products. The incessant cussing doesn't bother me so much, but when Penn calls a guy an asshole just for having a different viewpoint and working for a cause he believes in, whew. Even if the cause _is_ bogus, insulting the guy kind of distracts me from P&T's arguments a bit, and it detracts from the arguments themselves. Not that I'm going to start believing in ufos or the Boy Scouts (two other issues that BS took to task), but I won't be able to get my answers from Penn & Teller's show. I'll do my own research elsewhere, thanks.

:-j