Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] BS on the BS

  • FromLuisa <Luisa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 30 Jan 2007 12:23:54 -0500

--On 1/30/07 10:40 AM -0600 Jonathan Grabert <jonathang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Just because these guys are libertarians doesn't mean that
they're wrong. You're attacking the messenger, not the
message.  (Not that calling someone a libertarian is
necessarily an attack, but in this case it is.)

Like you, I felt like I had to study up on what was said in
the program.  I went back and read the sources, and some
other information.  (I'd recommend Bjorn Lomborg's _The
Skeptical Environmentalist_, which was featured in P&T's
season 1 episode on the environment.)  What I've read
absolutely supports what P&T say.  It takes money, energy,
and time to recycle paper, and the net effect is *bad* for
the environment.

    From the US Energy page I checked out during my research

<http://www.eia.doe.gov/>

I found out that indeed there are pros and cons to both using virgin pulp for making paper and to recycle. They use energy in different ways and produce different kinds of waste. However, the *net* energy usage is *lower* when you *do* recycle than when you do not. So this would be *good* for the environment. Recycling is especially good when no chlorine nor acids are used, and when soy ink is used. As consumers we can choose to buy only these kinds of products to encourage all companies to produce environmentally responsible products.

Lastly, I just wanted to say that it's really good of Andy
to promote this discussion.  It takes a lot of courage for
him to even consider denouncing recycling.  I take a lot of
heat for it, but for Andy, a self-proclaimed hippy, to do
so is even bigger.

I think discussion is great! I think backing one's arguments with research and hard facts is great! It seems P&T used old data to support their argument as well as people from ONLY one side of the argument (John, great research on that btw). Their show seems clearly biased and I have not found any hard data that supports their arguments now (perhaps in 1996, that was ELEVEN -11- years ago! Industry REALLY changes in that amount of time). I will say this, though, when you compare the recycling of aluminum to that of paper, it seems that it is not worth recycling paper because the gains are so much smaller. But notice, there are still gains from recycling, no matter how small, and the more we recycle, the better the gains will be, especially for the environment.

J/

----- Original Message ----- From: "ginohn"
<ginohn@xxxxxxxxxxx>