Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] BS on the BS

  • FromDoug Orleans <dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 30 Jan 2007 13:07:30 -0500
Luisa writes:
 > However, the *net* energy usage is *lower* when you
 > *do* recycle than when you do not. So this would be *good*
 > for the environment.

This kind of statement keeps coming up in this discussion, but I don't
see any correlation between low energy usage and benefit to the
environment.  For example, if the energy comes from solar panels,
there's zero effect on the environment, no matter how much energy is
used.  If recycled paper uses more or less energy to create than new
paper, then this will be reflected in the price of the finished
product, and people don't need to be told to buy the cheapest product.
But the impact on the environment tends not to be reflected in the
price, which is why "buying green" means you have to look beyond the
price.

--dougorleans@xxxxxxxxx