Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] Events going on in April

  • FromRebecca Stallings <becca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 27 Apr 2007 23:58:39 -0400
What my Girl Scouts wound up doing for Earth Day was:

1. For our snack, we had organic apples. My assistant leader had found some statistics online and used the apple to demonstrate: Imagine the apple is the Earth. Cut it in fourths; 3 represent water, and the rest is land. Cut the land in half; one represents the parts that are too sandy, icy, swampy, rocky, or mountainous; the rest is the area where people live. Cut that in fourths; 3 represent buildings and roads, and the rest is available farmland. But wait! We can't farm down to the Earth's core! Cut off the peel. Compare that 1/32 of a peel to the whole Earth. That is all the land we have to grow our food. Do you think we should pollute it?

2. We emptied the can and bottle recycling bins in the church where we meet and rinsed the items and packed them into blue bags to be added to my curbside recycling. 7 girls and 2 leaders were able to get that done in 10 minutes! I haven't yet, but I'm going to count the containers and calculate the resources saved so I can tell the girls next week.

Luisa suggested:
>you could stop over to a friendly establishment and wish people a Happy
>Earth day and give away some pledge cards...

You know, I think the actual pledge you wrote is beautiful, but I won't hand out those cards because the later part of the text (a) does not explain what EcoFluxx is, which is confusing to people who don't know, and (b) is essentially an ad for EcoFluxx, and as much as I love Looney Labs, I think that handing people ads for Earth Day is cheezy, and urging people to buy more stuff is contrary to the whole idea. When it's time for a new print run, how about putting just the pledge and then a little EcoFluxx logo and tagline and the foundation URL?

The card as it currently exists makes perfect sense for inclusion with EcoFluxx decks. It does not make sense as something to hand people on the street. And what happens to things handed out on the street that don't make sense? They become litter!
		---'Becca