Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

RE: [Eco] the news on Origins

  • FromScott Sulzer <ssulzer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 05 Aug 2007 17:17:25 -0700
I honestly can't say that I'm suprised, I get to see it at work all the time
(I'm a custodian for a university) with our own limited recycling.

However, it works at our local Ren faire.  Several reasons it works (I
think):

1.)  All of the food vendors use recyclable products.  Paper cups,
recyclable plastic utensils, paper plates.  No styrafoam, no non-recyclable
plastics.

2.) Limited waste stations.  Vendors do not have garbage at their booths,
there are only a few places where you can dispose of your trash.  Each
station has seperate bins for each type of recyclable waste, one for
compostable materials, and one for trash (there is very little, but there
are some items which are not recyclable).

3.) Recycling ... wardens?  Each waste station has a volunteer standing at
it who will "remind" people to sort their trash as they put it into the
bins.  Some of these people attend in period costume, and, for some reason,
I have yet to see anyone argue with them.  I believe they also have a way to
contact someone to empty the bins if they get full.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if they had the "wardens" at the last ren fair,
sorting garbage there has just become habit.

While the convention center may not be able to organize something like this
for normal usage, you might be able to get them to help in implementing
something like this for Origins, at least to start with.