Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] the news on Origins

  • Frombecca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateMon, 6 Aug 2007 12:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
Kristin wrote:
> makes me so wish we had done a big marketing push to make sure everyone
> actually used the recycling service that the convention center set up...

In retrospect, I wish I'd pushed for a flyer with Tirade and Daddy-O
raving about the convenient recycling bins and urging people to use
them...but that would've used some paper!

Anyway, let's remember that Origins isn't the only convention that happens
in that building.  Although I didn't realize it until I spoke with Manny
Magno at the convention center, when GAMA pushed for recycling the center
decided to try it for *all* the events held there.  Other cons may have a
less eco-conscious crowd than Origins--for all I know, Columbus has hosted
the Aluminum Mining Association and the Earth Wreckers Consortium--so the
overall low participation in recycling is not gamers' fault.  (We must
admit, though, that if the Origins crowd had been *very* diligent in
recycling, the center staff would have noticed the difference!)

> But you should be VERY proud, Becca, of everything you accomplished and
> maybe we will try again at Origins some day when we have more
> time/effort/money to throw at the problem, and your little Nicholas is
> older and more independent. We could get Anthony to get the convention
> center to try it again with you and Looney Labs and GAMA promoting it and
> trying to get everyone to do it this time.

WHY ME???  I am happy to help and enthusiastic about Looney Labs working
on the problem, but I get frustrated when it seems like I'm the only
person who can do recycling.  It isn't difficult!  I'm not the only person
in my church who brings up recycling when we're planning an event.  I'm
not the only person in my department at work who hauls paper to another
building to recycle it.  Why is it Looney Labs can't recycle without me?

Here's what I would like to see Looney Labs do: At every convention, have
a recycling bin in your space(s).  Use a special bin (I still have the
ones from GenCon and have never since needed all of them at once, so you
can have some if you want) to avoid confusion with trash.  Appoint one
Rabbit, in advance of the con so he/she can be prepared, to empty the bin
every day and take the contents to be recycled.  Publicize as much or as
little as you want.

There are so many Rabbits now, and you have them all organized by zip
code.  I bet that if you contacted all the Rabbits living near a con, a
month or so in advance, and asked for someone to volunteer as Recycling
Rabbit, in most cases you'd find somebody.  I mean, for your smaller
events we're talking about one 30-gallon bag to stick in the car, 15
minutes taking off the caps and rinsing, and then storing the stuff until
you can put it out on curbside recycling day...or, with a quick Websearch,
the Rabbit can find out where to drop off recyclables on the way home.  No
big deal.

Scott wrote, about the Ren Faire:
>1.)  All of the food vendors use recyclable products.  Paper cups,
>recyclable plastic utensils, paper plates.  No styrafoam, no non-
>recyclable plastics.

Wow, that would be a terrific change to see in the Columbus Convention
Center and at North Market!  It's hard to buy a meal there that isn't in a
giant foam or plastic box!

I'm puzzled though by the idea of recycling paper cups.  They're usually
coated with a thin layer of plastic on the inside.  Are these a special
kind?

>3.) Recycling ... wardens?  Each waste station has a volunteer standing at
>it who will "remind" people to sort their trash as they put it into the
>bins.

This is a fabulous idea...where sufficient volunteers are available. I
wish people would just read signs and follow directions, though. >:-(
---'Becca