Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

RE: [Eco] the news on Origins

  • FromScott Sulzer <ssulzer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 06 Aug 2007 16:42:54 -0700
I'm not actually certain where they get their cups, plates, utensils and
such, but I believe that all of the food vendors for the event have a common
source because the designs are consistent throughout.  It works for an event
of this scale because the vendors at the event are almost all non-profit or
club groups, i.e. the Boy Scouts, the Lions Club, the Turkish Students
Society, etc...

One thing I've found out, with being a custodian, is that people are too
lazy to read and too busy to follow instructions.  I put a big, bright
yellow sign right in front of the bathroom door that says Restroom Closed,
and people still just barge in, tripping over the sign as they enter, and go
"Oh, umm, can I use the bathroom?"

Until the crowd is "trained" to sort their garbage and proud enough of doing
it to correct others, the wardens would be needed.

As to why you, because you chose to do it, at first anyway, and it is work,
it's a lot of work, as you have pointed out.  People are going to cons to
have fun, meet people, play games, and just get away from it all.  Even the
mad lab rabbits that help demo the games are getting a chance to play games.
The people who are there from the game companies are there to sell their
games, if they don't, their companies can go under.

I think, to start with anyway, the first group of people to get involved in
a project like this, are the con organizers.  Also, get the convention
center involved.  Do not try and focus on every event, at least not to the
full extent, or you'll go nuts, start with one, get it organized, get it
refined and then get it to spread.

As to what the con organizers can do, they can allow free entry to those
willing to donate time (4 hour blocks?) to being on the recycling staff.
(Wardens, rinsers, sorters)  They can work with the convention center to set
up recycling stations and limit the waste receptacles, as well as setting up
signs to direct people to the waste/recycling areas.  Remember, less waste
means less work for the convention center in the long run.  They can also
work with the convention center to set aside an area to rinse out plastic
containers.  They can make up reusable signs for the recycling stations.

I think that one of the problems that you are facing is that you are
organizing on a small scale for a project on the grand scale, you need to
get more people who have control of the convention in on the organizing.