Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Get Sued

  • FromChristopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 30 Jan 2008 08:05:21 -0800
On Wednesday, January 30, 2008, at 10:59AM, "Maria P" <mudpuppy1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>That's outrageous!   We only take our trash to the curb every 2 or 3 weeks
>as we compost, recycle & freecycle.  Granted, we still pay for it, so I
>imagine there's no grounds for complaints from the waste company on that
>one.  I had thought about canceling the pick up service & just taking the 1
>bag or so a week or so to the recycling center & paying the nominal house
>waste disposal fee.   Some places are definitely sending the wrong message!
>--Maria

My county does something I like: I only pay for trash service when I need it (well, that's not totally true, there is a small quarterly charge, but then I only pay $2 a can for pickup.)  We usually only produce a can worth every two weeks or so, and since the pickup is bi-weekly, we sometimes don't even have a can out.

That is the RIGHT way to do it.  If every trash service was charged by volume, it would encourage people to reduce their garbage production.