Looney Labs EcoFluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Eco] Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Get Sued

  • Frombecca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • DateWed, 30 Jan 2008 12:01:31 -0500 (EST)
> That is the RIGHT way to do it.  If every trash service was charged by
> volume, it would encourage people to reduce their garbage production.

I agree.  I have a cousin to whom caring for the environment is a middle
to low priority, but she is zealous about recycling in her home because
her town charges by the bag for trash pickup, whereas recycling can be
dropped off at the grocery store she's going to anyway.  There are NINE
people in her house, and they typically put out one 30-gallon bag of trash
per week.

My own feelings about garbage have changed just from moving from a place
with twice-a-week collection to one with once-a-week collection (every
other week for bulky items, yard waste, and recycling).  When it gets
picked up so often, you don't see it piling up and the quantity doesn't
really register.
---'Becca