Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

RE: [Edu] Games in the Classroom

  • From"Kate Jones" <kate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 7 Apr 2006 13:13:49 -0400
Dear Laurie and Magi,

Thank you for giving me a better background and understanding of the
situation in which Magi works and what her needs are. My questions were not
intended to be insulting or sarcastic. I was genuinely interested in getting
enough information to be able to be helpful. Thank you, Laurie, for giving
me the benefit of the doubt on this.

Now I understand that this is not a regular, academic classroom where
students have a standard curriculum, with standard tests to show their
having mastered the subjects to a certain level required for graduation.
These students with extreme disabilities cannot be expected to perform like
their mainstream counterparts, and thus require very specialized tutoring to
develop even the most fundamental behaviors and social skills. I take my hat
off to Magi for all the thought and energy she gives to this endeavor.

I work well with blind and deaf individuals where there is no cognitive
impairment, using the puzzles I have designed. My only acquaintance with
retarded students was many years ago, when I assisted a dance teacher with
doing dance moves for a class of handicapped students, both mentally
retarded and even some with cerebral palsy. They loved the music and rhythm
and got great joy out of participating in routines like the Hokey Pokey and
other simple dances. But I wouldn't know where to begin to teach math and
language concepts to individuals in the 50-62 IQ range.

I'd like to clear up a misunderstanding. I am not on this forum to sell my
own products, unless they happen to be the answer to a need. I am a great
fan of the Looneys and their work, and sell some of their products on my own
website. I have a great interest in how education works to build the minds
of tomorrow, and will support all good efforts in that direction.

Part of such effort is the work of Dr. Win Wenger, whose website, Project
Renaissance, I manage. Please see http://www.winwenger.com . Dr. Wenger has
many unusual techniques to enhance learning, even for the lower range of IQ.
His website is full of free materials that you are welcome to adapt for your
situation. That your students themselves designed a new behavior plan is
impressive and very hopeful. It's the kind of result Win's techniques also
encourage. If you email to him with a specific inquiry for what would be
best to try with your mentally retarded students, he will most generously
respond. His techniques will feel like games, very easy to learn and fun.
Write to him here:  wwenger101@xxxxxxx

In the meantime, I will continue to think about what else might be a
practical help for you. The booklet that is on its way to you may contain a
few useful things (some could be played with UNO cards), but overall I now
suspect it is too complicated for students who still have trouble adding
numbers. Maybe they could learn to use a calculator?

Because of the special hardships you are working with, may I assume that the
school allows you to improvise your own techniques and to experiment with
methods that otherwise might seem unorthodox? If you could get results that
exceed all expectations, that would be a good thing, yes?

You have my best wishes, Magi, both for getting well from your virus bout
and for the incredibly difficult path you have chosen for your teaching
career.

-- Kate