Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

RE: [Edu] Games in the Classroom

  • FromLaurie Menke <laurie_menke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 6 Apr 2006 20:02:58 -0700 (PDT)
--- Kate Jones <kate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Let me see if I understand this, Magi:
>
> 1.  Your students would rather play games than do
> real schoolwork.

Playing games can be "real schoolwork."  Actually, if
the games are appropriate, they can teach students
much better than seatwork because they are highly
motivating, multi-modal (equally involve the students
who learn better by seeing, hearing, and doing), and
tend to repeat important concepts frequently.

> 2.  Your students like Monopoly, Scrabble, Fluxx,
> Uno, Dominoes (maybe
> others) that you have in the classroom.
> 3.  You want to use the games they like rather than
> introduce them to new
> ones they might also like.

You seem to be implying that Magi is trying to stifle
her kids.  She *wants* to teach them new games they
would also like.  That's why she sent her original
request.  She just doesn't have the funds to buy more
and wants to use the parts she already has.
Additionally, students with learning disabilities have
difficulty getting used to new things, so using parts
they are familiar with gives them a better chance of
being able to learn the game.

> 4.  You want them to use the games they know and
> like, but not actually let
> them play them, only to use them to do math problems
> and learn math skills.

It is appropriate for Magi to try to use the games to
teach as much as she can.  Students are in school to
learn.  "Because it's fun" is an excellent reason for
doing something educational, but a poor reason for
doing something that is not teaching students skills
they need to know.  I am guessing that Magi would also
like some faster alternatives.  She gave the example
of Monopoly.  How long does it take you to play a game
of Monopoly?  I would say a minimum of 3 hours playing
the regular rules.  Of course she needs something a
little less time consuming!

> 5.  You want the students to fall for this and
> produce learning results.

You intimate that she is tricking her students or
somehow being untrustworthy.  I doubt she is going to
try to represent her games as anything other than what
they are...ways of learning math and other subjects
that are more fun than drill and rote memorization.
She's not saying she's got the best game ever, just
that it's a fun learning alternative.

> 6.  You're looking for ideas for how to accomplish
> this.
> 7.  You'd like to do this, if possible, at no cost.

Of course free materials are every teacher's dream.
Do you have any idea how difficult it is to purchase
needed supplies with the budget teacher's are
provided?

>-- Kate Jones
>Kadon Enterprises, Inc.
>www.gamepuzzles.com
>(Also a Looney Labs Mad Lab Rabbit)

I'm sorry if I sound a bit miffed...I guess I am.  I'm
sure you meant well, but your notes came off as if you
were only on this mailing list to sell your company's
games, and when Magi said that wasn't quite what she
was looking for, you got sarcastic and snippy.  If
that wasn't how you meant it, then I apologize for
taking it wrong.

Laurie