Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Just picking your brains...

  • FromLaurie Menke <laurie_menke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 13 May 2006 11:49:12 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Carol!  Some feedback regarding your standards
search and the teacher pamphlet.  First of all, COOL!
:o)  I think something like this will go a long ways
in helping LL get their foot in the educational door.
:o)  And you are definitely on the right track as far
as wording and such.

However, I know from experience that trying to talk
about standards in a way that works for people across
the country is a very difficult undertaking.  You
stated that the National Standards are what all the
state standards are based on.  I don't think that is
actually true.  I believe the National Standards are
in the process of being put together, and that they
seem to draw from the national standards put out by
various professional groups (such as the National
Council of Teachers of English).  Though this is a
valiant effort that will probably help to create
"official" national standards at some point in the
future, right now it's not going to be real helpful
for individual teachers.

Think of it as a "state's rights" sort of issue.
Currently, each state believes they should have final
say over content.  But at the same time, national
funding and kudos go to those states and schools that
can show improvement via standardized testing.
Therefore, most states have chosen to write their own
standards based on that state's beliefs about
education, and use those standards to customize their
standardized testing, which is how they get their
money.  So...though the national standards may be nice
(although a little spotty IMHO), they aren't going to
help teachers teach to the standards that matter to
their administrators.

That said, here is what I would suggest for your
pamphlet.  Rather than getting into the messy
standards business in the pamphlet, I would suggest
filling the pamphlet with great ideas for lessons.
You could include formal lesson plans if you want, but
in my experience, teachers would rather have lots of
"half-baked" ideas to run with than one "fully baked"
idea.  In other words, teachers tend to customize to
their situation rather than used "canned" lesson plans
(as I'm sure you do, yourself!).  I envision each LL
game (or maybe just the most educational ones) having
two pages (a spread) in this pamphet.  These pages
would show a picture of the game and some sample
cards, list what ages it is appropriate for, how many
can play, and the reading level of the card text (not
the instructions).  They would also give a short
description of how the game is played.  This might
take half a page, or maybe a full page.  The remainder
of space would list bulleted little blurbs describing
how the game can be used in the classroom, preferably
by grade or specialty grouping.  So it would look
something like this:

NANOFICTIONARY FITS A VARIETY OF CURRICULAR NEEDS:

Grades K-2
? Idea
? Idea
? Idea

Grades 3-6
? Idea
? Idea
? Idea

Junior High/Middle School
? Idea
? Idea
? Idea

High School
? Idea
? Idea
? Idea

Remediation
? Idea
? Idea
? Idea

Enrichment
? Idea
? Idea
? Idea

After-School Programs
? Idea
? Idea
? Idea

THEN the last thing to add to each "spread" would be a
little....um...I can't think of the name of those
wowwy-zowwy little things with all the points like
they have in ads that say "LOOK AT ME!"  Anyway...you
know what I mean...one of those.  And inside, it would
direct readers to the LL web page that is constantly
updated with all of the state standards that apply
specifically to that game.

Now I grant you, it will take A LOT of work to create
these web pages that are specific to each game and
list standards that apply state-by-state.  But once
the initial work is done, it wouldn't be difficult to
update the list as new state standards come out (which
happens every few years).  And I bet you could get a
Rabbit or two to help with that project.

That way, you would be giving teachers BOTH a pamphlet
chock full of ideas that fit their specific set of
kids AND a link to information that is just what they
need (specific to their state) to go to their
particular administrator with the idea.

Sorry for the long post.  Hope this helps!

Laurie

P.S.  I'd be happy to help with this project over the
summer, but I just can't do it right now.  In addition
to end-of-year teaching mayhem, I also need to pack
all my belongings and move to an undetermined new
apartment by mid-June.  Ack!