Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Off topic question

  • From"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 14 May 2006 18:49:47 -0400
Well... I can tell you what might NOT be a good gift... any of those quirky phrase books about being a teacher. I'd get her whatever you would normally get her; its kinda early to be thinking about getting her anything for the classroom. That can happen in her Junior and Senior years when she's going out into classrooms. Unless she's going to work as a teacher's assistant or something while she's in college now? When I started teaching, what I wanted most was office supplies! My father's graduation gift to me was deferred until I actually started in my classroom. Then, he took me to Staples, Zany Brainy, and a teacher supply store, and bought me what I wanted up to $25 in each store. Of course, I worked in the inner city... your mileage may vary in this area. However, in my current public school I still went to Staples and spent at least $250 when I started teaching. Again, however, by this point I have specific tools for specific activities: colored 2 pocket paper folders, colored file folders, card stock, 2x4 shipping labels.
Magi

lisa wrote:

Hey guys -

Got a kinda off-topic question for ya.

My niece is graduating high school in a couple weeks. She's going to college
to be a teacher. What would be a good graduation gift for her?

Thanx for any help

lisa