Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] introduction

  • From"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 28 Dec 2006 14:18:43 -0500
Hi, Ryan...

Depending on where you are in West Virginia, you're not very far from me. I teach in Loudoun County, Virginia. A lot of our teachers and other staff live in West Virginia and commute to our school in Sterling everyday. I teach special education students with multiple disabilities at the high school level. Officially, I'm the "cross-categorical" teacher, but that just means I get all the kids who don't fit neatly into one program. The only common characteristic of my students is that they need life-skills training and support so they can be successful when they leave school. I have students from 14-20 years old this year (its kind of scary to realize that one of my students is only 12 years younger than I am... I have friends that age!), and all disabilities from emotionally disturbed, learning disabled, mentally retarded, and other health impaired. :) We've been working on creating our own Fluxx game, but haven't had time to get it formatted... It started off being called Life Skills Fluxx, but one of the kids changed its name to Survival Fluxx.

Magi

miyu wrote:
I wanted to introduce myself as a new member on the list. My name is Ryan and I am a junior high school Spanish teacher in WV who also runs an after school game club. My game club began by playing with pyramids and has slowly transitioned to primarily being a Go club but the pyramids for Treehouse and Tic-Tac-Doh are still broken out every so often to fill in time between games of Go.

I'm hoping to bring the Spanish Fluxx game into my Spanish 2 class and see how the kids handle a game in their target language.

             Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

                              -Ryan

--
Ora, lege, lege, lege, relege, labora et invenies.