Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

[Edu] Hello from Hattiesburg, MS

  • From"Thomasina Parker" <tparker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 17 Jan 2007 13:51:05 -0600

Hi!  My name is Thomasina and I teach the REACH program in Hattiesburg, MS.  I have 2nd through 6th grade students who are ruled Intellectually Gifted.  I contacted Looney Labs today about a game that I use with my students and they told me about this list.

I thought I would share what I have done with my students, but I have to first tell you how I found out about Looney Labs.  My fiancé and I have a store that sells games (board, card, dice, miniature, and role playing games).  I played a game called "Are You a Werewolf?" for the first time at our store and have been addicted ever since.  I though it would be a great game to work on my students' deductive reasoning, creative thinking, and persuasion skills.  Unfortunately, I didn't feel that "werewolves" was the best topic for my students.  I had to find a way to play the game with my students, so I changed the game to "Are You a Bully?".  The villagers became students; the werewolves became bullies; and the seer became the principal.  My students love this game!  I just printed off some cards with the words student, principal, and bully on them and had them laminated.  It took the students a game or two to completely understand the object, but once they got it, they love it.   I always stress when they are working on skills and ask them how they are strengthening their skills.

I hope this was not too long of a first email.

I look forward to hearing all the wonderful things you are all doing in your classes.

Thomasina "Squeaky"