Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Foreign Language Nanofictionary (Was: February's Looney Academy is live)

  • Frommiyu <xmiyux@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 13 Feb 2007 07:02:14 -0500
That is almost exactly what I'm going to be doing.  I played something similar with cards I made in Spanish for a game called Once Upon a Time.  It only worked semi-well because it was on a slightly higher level than my kids could do in Spanish 1 or 2.

Nanofictionary looks to be a simpler game than Once Upon a Time and could also be implemented as a writing project.

                         -Ryan

On 2/13/07, Christopher Hickman <tophu@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Feb 13, 2007, at 6:09 AM, miyu wrote:
> Personally I would love to see a small version of Nanofictionary in
> Spanish.  One of my projects over the summer is to create my own
> version on index cards or something with vocabulary from the text
> to utilize next year.

Indeed this is the game that just SCREAMS to be made in other
languages.  There are also nano blanks available (with a big discount
for teachers) that will let you make your own, (probably as a school
project, too). :) Each pack contains 10 semi-blank cards for you to
be creative with: 4 Characters, 2 Settings, 2 Problems, and 2
Resolutions.  That should be enough for two kids, as I would have
each kid do two characters and one of each other type. So if you have
around 16 kids, you'll have eighty cards (plus actions) and that's
not a bad start.

Alternatively, you could play with normal Nanofictionary and just ask
your kids to describe each card in Spanish as they play it, and then
tell their story in Spanish.  Of course, this option is more
advanced, since they have to come up with translations on the fly
instead of having the "seeds" of their story sitting there in front
of them in the target language.  The build your own game option would
give "seeds" they planted themselves. :)

I wish I'd thought of bringing Nanofictionary to my German class.
Ich denke, dass meine Lehrerin das genießen würde. :)

Topher