Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

RE: [Edu] Class development

  • From"Kate Jones" <kate@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 23 Feb 2007 07:05:19 -0500
Asking kids to design games is an excellent way to demonstrate systems
theory, social dynamics, systems of justice and fair play, equality, logic,
consistency, blind obedience versus enlightened cooperation, the importance
of infrastructure, evolution, survivability, the need for safeguards. In
fact, in the microcosm of a gameboard you can show all the features of a
society or community, the shallowness of zero-sum games, the danger of
making war and predation seem like fun, and the thrill and wisdom of
thinking on the meta-level.

When you are empowered to make the rules for others, while you are king or
dictator or god for that moment - what elements of human nature come to the
forefront? Will you be nasty or nice, vicious or vital, cruel or caring?
Will you come up with true innovation, or just rerun the tired old
traditional hostility gambits?

Creating rules within the relatively harmless simulation of a game can be
instructive about the world of laws we live in. What game is Congress
playing when our "lawmakers" start bending, breaking and eliminating the
provisions of our Constitution?  What happens when the "balance of power"
becomes unbalanced? Can it be restored?

I repeat a challenge I first made at the turn of the millennium:  If any
student or class comes up with a game that is non-predatory, intensely
absorbing, demonstrative and rewarding of the best in human nature
(nobility, honor, integrity), infinitely varied, easy to learn, addictive
for repeat play, aesthetically pleasing and producible at a reasonable cost,
my company will publish it, with royalties to the creator(s).

Good luck to all you budding designers and thinkers!

-- Kate Jones, President
Kadon Enterprises, Inc.
www.gamepuzzles.com