Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

[Edu] Talking about Looney Labs

  • From"Magi D. Shepley" <magid@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 26 Feb 2007 18:08:21 -0500
I had the opportunity to observe at a school for students who are gifted this afternoon. I shared the Looney Labs games and website information with several teachers who were interested in what I do with my students. I think I mentioned that I'm taking a class this semester on the gifted/LD learner... and the reason behind that is I wanted to see what was different about how we treat students who are gifted with how we treat the students I teach.

I saw differences... but there were lots of similarities in what I do in my classroom and what these elementary school students were doing. And yes, I did just compare my high school students with special needs to elementary school students who are gifted. Mostly because the elementary school gifted students are being instructed above their chronological level, so I saw things in the classes that I do with my students.

In any case, ALL of the teachers I had a chance to speak with stressed the importance of active learning, including playing games. Carol: You may have some people from the school looking for Survival Fluxx... ;) They were fascinated that students with mental retardation could create such a concept. :)

Magi