Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Gnostica question

  • From"Carol Townsend" <edu-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 5 Mar 2007 18:32:52 -0600
Remember this discussion about Gnostica and schools from last week?  Well I finally got a ping about a deck that's been out there - but I didn't know about it!  It's because the author of the deck isn't on the EduList.

Matt Arnold has this page of games:
http://www.nemorathwald.com/Games.htm

... and about halfwaydown is his link to his version of Gnostica - which he titles "Tarotories."  I think if I were bringing the game into a school, I'd call it Gnostica - much easier to talk about Gnostics (from the Greek for "knowledge") than it would be to get past Tarot - tories.... but your mileage may vary.

In any case, he's got a nicely put together set of cards you can print out.  Be aware that he has added in two cards to make it an 80 card deck.  This isn't what the original game calls for, so use those extra cards or not, as you wish - but just be aware they're there.

He's also got a nice set of rules reference pages - my only nitpick is that the Trump cards are labled A thru V (instead of Fool through World as the tarot deck would call them) and on the reference sheet, he has them numbered 1 through 22.  Like I said, a little nitpick, but useful to catch when first looking at stuff.

At this point, I can totally see taking the sheets, printing them out on cardstock, taking the top half of the rules page from here:
http://www.wunderland.com/WTS/Ginohn/games/Gnostica/GnosticaRules.html

... down to right above "suit powers" (which is where the rules reference page that Matt supplies starts...) and taking it into a school.  He's even got them "Magic Card" sized, so you can put them on different color paper or cardstock, and by using the opaque-backed card sleeves, have a totally useable deck with easy to see-and-use cards.

So... what do you think?

Carol