Looney Labs Educators Mailing list Archive

Re: [Edu] Gnostica question

  • From"Don Sheldon" <don.sheldon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 27 Feb 2007 19:13:49 -0500
In addition to the great suggestions already offered, a pair of
identical regular decks of playing cards will also work (and where I
shop that's even how they're sold).  Let 1-10 of each suit be just as
ever with the normal pairings (which I think is swords->spades,
clubs->wands, hearts->cups, diamonds->pentacles, but don't quote me on
that) those don't even need stickers.  Let jacks be paiges, let a jack
from the second deck be knights, and queens and kings are queens and
kings.  To distinguish the two jacks you'll need stickers (or, since
the "order" of royalty only matters during bidding, you can choose to
not bother).  That leaves you with your duplicate 1-10 plus Q + K from
the second deck as well as all four jokers to turn into your faux
major arcana, with 30 cards to spare.

Just make sure to redo your stickers with spade/diamond/heart/club
instead of tarot suits and all the iconography works from there.

Tangent: I find this utter amusing because, if I recall, the Tarot was
a way of hiding gnostic teachings from society, and now the Tarot is
being hidden so that kids can play Gnostica.