Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Re: Adjusted some cards

  • From"Dim Bulb" <dimbulb@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 21 Nov 2005 19:00:28 -0500
> In an ongoing effort to streamline the Fluxx experience, I've changed the
> text on some of the cards.
> The mechanics might be a bit different, but hopefully they still affect the
> game the same way as before.

In general I like your "streamlining" idea, but a few comments:

> Everybody Gets 1 - Set your hand aside. Draw (number of players) x 1 cards.
> Put 1 of these cards into each player's hand. Pick up your hand.

In addition to Laurie's comments on this one, I personally feel that the "(number of players)" notation is *less* streamlined than the way the card is currently worded, though that's a judgement call of course.  It's difficult to write this card in a way that interacts properly with X=X+1....  (My personal preference would be to reword it such that it's not affected by X=X+1 at all; I think this would allow for both simpler wording and better gameplay.  But that's another subject.)

> Extinction - Place this card in the box until the end of the game, along
> with a "living" Keeper that's on the table.

Again, I like the existing text better for this one; YMMV.

> Trash a Keeper - If there are any Keepers in play, discard one of them.
> Trash a New Rule - If there are any New Rules in play, discard one of them.

These need to say "choose and discard", for clarity.

> _Hand_Limit_ Zero - If it isn't your turn, you cannot have any cards in your
> hand - discard your hand now. During your turn, you may ignore the Hand
> Limit, as long as you discard your hand at the end of your turn.

I believe that this is supposed to be worded in such a way that it *is* affected by X=X+1.  On the current card it's ambiguous (has this been corrected on v3.1?  I don't have it yet), but I'm inclined to resolve the inconsistency in favor of the card title (which uses "0") and by analogy with the other Hand Limit cards.  (I've also heard of players who use decks containing both "Hand Limit 0" and "Hand Limit Zero", with precisely this distinction....)

While we're on the subject, in my personal deck I've also reworded Discard & Draw to read "draw 1 card for each card that you discarded", because I think that the interaction with X=X+1 makes for better gameplay.  But that doesn't really fit the parameters of your "streamlining", since it changes the card's effect....