Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Re: Adjusted some cards

  • From"Dim Bulb" <dimbulb@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateSat, 26 Nov 2005 17:51:32 -0500
> >  > Everybody Gets 1 - Set your hand aside. Draw (number of
> > players) x 1 cards.
> >>  Put 1 of these cards into each player's hand. Pick up your hand.
> >
> > In addition to Laurie's comments on this one, I personally feel
> > that the "(number of players)" notation is *less* streamlined
> > than the way the card is currently worded, though that's a
> > judgement call of course.  It's difficult to write this card in a
> > way that interacts properly with X=X+1....  (My personal
> > preference would be to reword it such that it's not affected by
> > X=X+1 at all; I think this would allow for both simpler wording
> > and better gameplay.  But that's another subject.)
>
> So, you would return it to the v2 wording?

Yeah, I think that might be the best solution.  It might be possible to streamline the wording a bit, but I can't think of any improvements just now....

It just seems that Everybody Gets 1 is overpowered under X=X+1.  In a game of any size, you get to draw ten or twelve or more cards and keep the two most useful ones, in addition to whatever you already had in your hand.  As long as you've already got a Keeper or three on the table to work from, it's hard *not* to pull a winning combination (and the high Play number you need in order to use it) out of a draw like that.

In contrast, Discard & Draw doesn't break so badly if it's written so that X=X+1 affects it.  Doubling your hand size is powerful, sure, but you're giving up all the cards you had before--and it's rare that you've got more than three or four cards (besides the D&D itself) without having *any* you'd rather keep.  So usually the player wouldn't get more than eight, maybe ten, new cards, and he wouldn't have the advantage of combining them with his old hand.  There'll always be the rare occasion when you've got eleven cards but can't do anything useful, so you just play D&D on the theory that one of your twenty new cards will have to be 10 Cards in Hand; but that doesn't come up too often.

Basically, X=X+1'd D&D can help you salvage a bad situation--it's a "comeback" sort of card, and therefore it can afford to be powerful a bit.  In contrast, X=X+1'd EG1 is powerful even when you're already in a strong position, which tends to make it *overly* powerful in my book.  (On the other hand, if you never play above a three- or four-player game, it's probably not an issue; but most Fluxx players probably do....)