Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Deck Size Question

  • FromMichael Shanley <postgoop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateSun, 14 May 2006 13:20:14 -0400
Richard wrote:
So my question is, "About how many cards do you have in your Fluxx deck and how many are keepers / goals / new rules / actions?" I just wanted to see how the other Fluxx players built their decks.
My friend and I just made a full deck of our own that works nicely. Its 87 cards + Basic rules. 20 Actions, 20 Rules, 20 Keepers (well, 19, plus a modified doppelganger type), and 27 goals. This is actually almost the same proportions as the 3.1 fluxx deck (21 Rules, 20 Actions, 18 Keepers, 23 Goals), with just a bit more emphasis on Goals (because we were trying to balance out the Keepers better).

In the few games we've ran so far, I've found that there are too many goals in our deck. Ideally, I think a deck should have a 1:1:1:1 ratio of cards. That way, there's a bit more fluxx in Fluxx. (Additionally, the 1:1 ratio of Keepers to Goals means that every single Keeper is required for 2 Goals, exactly, and I think that's a nice bonus.)

But then, that might be biased since our group really doesn't care about winning at all. In fact, we usually play to lose, meaning the person who's keepers match the goal loses. (Interestingly, games seem to take about the same amount of time whether your trying to win or losing.)

And anyway, if you make a deck with 28 Keepers and (at 4 goals per keeper) 56 Goals, no one will EVER win (or lose, as the case may be), AND you'll need to make a hell of a lot of Action and Rule cards. In the basic fluxx deck, only 1 or 2 Keepers has 4 goals. Everything else has 2 and possibly 3. Some seem to like having some cards be more important than others (and it might be fun to make the beatles more important because they are more important to the pop culture thing), but I think decks work better when things are balanced.

Finally, there's a new card trick that we put into our new deck that some of you might find interesting. Our set as a new rule called the...

"Rule-of-Threes"
When this card comes into play, place the Basic Rules into the discard pile. Until a card is played to replace THIS card, consider it to be the Basic Rules. Draw 3, Play 3, Keeper Limit 3, Hand Limit 3.

Of course, this requires that your Basic Rules card looks exactly like a regular card so that it mixes well with the rest of the deck. We were thinking of other types of cards of this type, that said things like "Everyone has a personal goal. When a player plays a goal, they can either use it to replace their own or replace someone elses'." and other stuff that would benefit from being the Basic Rules more than being New Rules.

-Mike