Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

[Fluxx] Re: New Keeper: The Joker

  • From"Dim Bulb" <dimbulb@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 5 Oct 2007 13:18:42 -0500
> Speaking of, has anyone implemented "Rule Limit" cards? "If, at the end of
> your turn, there are more than N Rule cards, discard rule cards down to N.
> You may not discard Rule Limit."

I've got a Rule Limit 6 that I sometimes use, but my wording intentionally omits your last sentence.  I like the idea that the card can be used to trash itself; it gives the player more options.  The card works reasonably well, but I much prefer my other idea:

Rule Decay: "At the end of your turn, choose and discard one of the New Rule cards in play."

That card can also be used to trash itself, but in practice this doesn't happen too quickly; most players seem to prefer to leave it around for a while so it can make a sizeable dent in the amount of bureaucracy currently going on.  There are also some interesting interactions between Rule Decay and Reverse Order...for one, if you play Reverse Order while Rule Decay is in effect, the player who gets the next turn often thanks you by trashing the Reverse Order, so that each of you ends up getting an extra turn out of the exchange.

>      *  Ratify - Place this card atop a New Rule in play. Until the
> end of the game, it is a Basic Rule and can't be trashed.

Ooh, this is a good one.  I'm not sure about the mechanic, though--should this be a blue card or a yellow card?

--
Want an e-mail address like mine?