Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] First hand report of Zombie fluxx play

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 29 Oct 2007 08:32:04 -0700 (PDT)
My comments are based on multiple demos of Zombie Fluxx over the
weekend at Pittsburgh's Zombie Fest.

(Pictures: http://www.ee0r.com/gallery/events/zombiefest2007/ )

Larry V. wrote:
> What I noticed was that it seemed like our card hands were larger
> than the normal Fluxx (2.1) that we play. I mean, we love to play
> inflation, etc. in normal fluxx - but it would be frightening to
> play that sort of card in ZF. The Draw 5 card by itself would ramp
> things up.

I noticed this, too. I don't know why it is, since the big play
cards are available, too. I think people like to see the big draws
since they get more Creepers into play.

> With the addition of the creepers (which in the ZF deck itself
> are all Zombies, right?) the playing area is chaotic - one has
> creepers, keepers, discard pile, draw pile, and then there are
> the ton of new rules. Since none of the new zombie related rules
> appear to conflict with one another, that means one might have
> a dozen new rules in play at any one time.

Again, I concur. ZF has lots of cards in the middle, lots of cards
in front of people. During a demo, making sure people follow all
the New Rules is a big part of helping.

People also asked repeatedly, "Is there any way to get rid of a
rule card?"

> The first round my son won, I believe. The second round he plotted
> and executed an "everyone loses" scenario just for the fun of it.

This was very common at Zombie Fest. I think ZF is more difficult
to win than regular Fluxx. This means that with beginner players,
the games can drag on for quite a while. Nobody is bored because
plenty of stuff is happening, but one game I eventually played a
goal just to *make* somebody win.

I'd recommend for demo rabbits that you get used to holding on to
goals that will end the game, so that if your players start to look
at their watches or get otherwise restless, you can "free" them.

> All in all, the game is quite fun. I was thinking about the huge
> thread earlier this month about sequencing of events when trying
> to figure out when to kill off the zombies during a "turn".

For demos I always just did all the killing rule effects at the end
of the turn. I don't think that's mandatory, but it's easier for
teaching. Players will figure out tricky ways to use earlier kills
for their gain all on their own. =^>

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans
eeyore@xxxxxxxx