Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

RE: [Fluxx] Favorite/Least favorite cards

  • From"Elliott C. Evans" <eeyore@xxxxxxxx>
  • DateMon, 10 Mar 2008 07:28:19 -0700 (PDT)
Ryan H. wrote:
> Keeper Limits are never welcome on my table. I think they are
> guilty of stretching the play time indefinitely, the culprit
> behind those exhausting 45-minute Fluxx sessions. They put
> many negatives into the game while adding scant positives.

I think Keeper Limits force players to make more poker-like
choices based on their knowledge of what cards are in the deck
and their memory of what cards have already been seen. If there
are piles of keepers out on the table, the chances that somebody
will win due to a randomly played goal are way up.

A keeper limit 2 is a bit harsh, but the KL4 gives you enough
room to set up a keeper pair or two, or make a surprise win with
the Five Keepers goal on your turn (needs another keeper and at
least a Play 2, of course).

> For me, Fluxx hits its sweet spot with Draw 5, Play All,
> No-Hand Bonus.

With those rules, if you have a pair of Keepers out that you
know matches a rule that hasn't been played, and none of your
opponents do, playing a KL inhibits them from getting such a
pair, and the high turnover drives towards somebody making you
win.

Everything in Fluxx is situational.

--
Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans