Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] More thoughts about Hovercraft Eels

  • From"Bryan Stout" <bryan.stout@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateWed, 06 Aug 2008 18:20:03 -0400
2)  This card can raise some interesting player interactions and social
dynamics.  Far from being random, the players can deliberately try for a
specific result. I tend to think this is a feature rather than a bug...

This is one of the things I love about this card, actually.

Great! At first glance I thought the intent was to be random choice, but I later realized the other possibilities. I'm glad that was the intent.

I'm certain that in some groups #6 would be the only answer ever chosen,
making this card futile for them.

Not if you pick yourself as one of the number-callers.

I bet a fair number of players won't realize they can pick themselves unless it's explicitly stated. They'll even argue it's forbidden. I know it's a very crowded card, but if you can somehow indicate they can pick themselves I think it will reduce the frustration some will have with this card.

One suggestion: Say, "Pick one other player. On your cue, you both call out a number ..." etc. This omits the option of selecting two other players, but I think most people would want to include themselves anyway.

But that's theoretical.  I haven't actually played with this card.

And thanks for your other comments.

Regards,
Bryan