Looney Labs Fluxx Mailing list Archive

Re: [Fluxx] Rules debate on BGG: Tie with Creepers?

  • FromBryan Stout <stoutwb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 31 Jul 2009 08:19:27 -0400
> I actually asked Andy about this once, and his answer
> was that the game continues until there is a single winner. ...
>
> Now, look at the case of the "10 Cards in Hand" goal being active when two
> players have 10 cards.  This looks like just a special case of the situation
> I just described.  The text about one player having more cards than the
> other is therefore another way to get a clear winner, not a way to make the
> game last longer.  Then if one of those gets/has a "you don't win" Creeper,
> they get excluded from victory and the other player wins.  Even if the
> player with the Creeper actually had more cards.

I agree with all you wrote except for the last sentence.  If the Goal
is Milk and Cookies, and I have Milk, Cookies and Taxes, say, the
presence of Taxes does not change the fact that I'm fulfilling the win
condition -- it just prevents me from winning even though I do fulfill
them.  So if a player has the most cards in hand and Taxes on the
table, the presence of Taxes does not change the fact that he has the
most cards.  If another player also has the same number of cards, he
could win unless something else prevents him.  But the second-highest
number of cards does not fulfill the Goal conditions.

Regards,
Bryan