Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

[Geeks] a question to graphics geeks

  • FromAlison <alison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 13 Feb 2007 17:45:22 -0500
Hello folks,  Alison here.

I don't normally follow this list, since I don't understand much of what's discussed on it. (I'm just not that computer/math geeky, unfortunately.) But I hope we have some graphics/layout geeks here who can help us figure something out. Feel free to refer me to informative webpages if you like...

We have a webpage where we have hi-rez graphics for download for people who need pictures of our games or our logos to do print catalogs, magazines, reviews, ads, etc...

What is the usual format/size for such things? What do people who put together print-based media typically use/ask for? Way-back when, Marlene had put it together with all tiff files for the raster-based stuff, and eps files for the vector-based. My inclination is to use a wider variety of file-types, based on what I know (or believe to be true) about them:

As raster-based images go, gif and tiff are indexed color, so they are smaller/more appropriate for images with only a few colors, like flat-colored logos and such. Of the two, I had thought that gifs were smaller (based on some experimentation that one of my graduate professors did). I could not figure out why anyone would use a tiff if this were the case, but there must be something that differentiates them.

For photographic-type pictures, with tons and tons of gradations of color, a jpeg creates a smaller file, and I have often seen people request them, since I think many tools are able to deal with them. I personally notice some odd color distortion around edges, which I think is due to compression inherent to the file-type... maybe? Did I mention I'm not much of a geek? But I think at print resolution it's hardly noticeable.

I did have someone ask for actual photoshop (or jpeg) files once, and I was at a loss as to why they asked for those, and did not list any of the indexed-color types - it was a shame, since I already had lots of things as tiffs, that Mar had generated. I mean, if they have Photoshop, they should be able to change the file type to whatever they want, right?

I think in general, though, people don't want file-types that are specific to a particular application, though. So...

for vector-based graphics, we go with eps files, rather than, say Illustrator files... That seems clear enough to me. If you can take them, then vector-based graphics are great, since they're almost infinitely sizeable without loss of resolution. Eps is the only generic vector-based file type I know (I'm sure there are more, but I think it's very widely used and accepted by many applications, yes?)

I know that for raster-based files 300 dpi is standard minimum for color/grayscale, and 600 for b/w line art. Of course dpi means nothing without a size for the image (people SO often forget this!) so I'll have to figure out what size graphic to offer too. Input is welcomed on that.

I _think_ these will be used most often for magazine-sized pictures, with more than one image on a page - not so much for full page product shots, or posters, so I'm thinking about 3-4 inch on a side, depending on aspect-ratio. That seems plenty big enough to me. What do you all think?

Also, I'm wondering if I can use the "save for web" feature in Photoshop, which compresses the file-size somewhat (I think - I don't really know much about compression, here). I like it because it lets you see how big the file will be, saved out as different types. But will that compression adversely affect the image quality (significantly)?

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, how do you make a link so it just downloads an image, rather than attempting to take you to a webpage which displays it? These are going to be so big that it will be useless to try to view them at screen resolution. Actually, this is something that Robin will have to deal with, not me, since she's pushing them, but I thought I'd ask, while I had your attention, since I'm curious...

Anyhow. This has been a long post. Advice and answers are solicited. Corrections to my graphics-worldview welcomed (or at least tolerated!)

Thanks for your help!

:)

-Alison