Looney Labs Geeks Mailing list Archive

Re: [Geeks] a question to graphics geeks

  • From"Timothy Hunt" <games@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateTue, 13 Feb 2007 17:04:48 -0600
Also, I'm wondering if I can use the "save for web" feature in Photoshop,
which compresses the file-size somewhat (I think - I don't really know much
about compression, here).  I like it because it lets you see how big the
file will be, saved out as different types.  But will that compression
adversely affect the image quality (significantly)?

Not particularly familiar with photoshop itself.  But yes, chances are
it will be trying to save as jpeg, and for web it will be increasing
the (lossy) compression to reduce file size, because it's not so
noticable on the web.

Also, now that I'm thinking about it, how do you make a link so it just
downloads an image, rather than attempting to take you to a webpage which
displays it?

Don't.  Users should know to do whatever they need to do to save the
image.  If they don't you can tell them (right click -> save as for
windows, Ctrl-click -> save image... for mac is the usual, but it is
actually browser specific, so unless you want the mess of detecting
browsers and trying to provide information based on that (and noting
that some browsers lie in order to be compatible with pages that claim
to require a certain browser), I really won't bother)

Hope this helps some.

Timothy