Re: [Icehouse] Re: End of Tournament Games

  • FromMarc Hartstein <marc.hartstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateThu, 06 Jul 2006 12:00:37 -0400
On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 11:45:04AM -0400, Eric Wald wrote:
> Marc Hartstein wrote:
> >One alternative I thought of after the tournament was to have a
> >tiebreaker rule instead.  I see two possibilities:
> >
> >1. Having an empty quadrant breaks ties.  [...]
> >
> >2. Having at least one piece left breaks ties.  [...]
> >
> 3. The person with the empty quadrant chooses a winner among those tied.

I hate kingmaking.  Making it explicitly part of the rules turns me off.

> >There could be a problem, though, where players are simply unwilling to
> >move the game toward an end if they're not in a winning position.
>
> This is slightly alleviated by the above rule, but perhaps not much.

See above.  Getting the kingmaker power wouldn't encourage me to end the
game.

Which isn't to say it's not a good idea, just that I don't like it.