[Icehouse] Zendo rules question

  • From"Timothy Hunt" <games@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • DateFri, 8 Dec 2006 10:08:03 -0600
An interesting question came up recently about Zendo.  It says in the
rule book that a Rule cannot refer to anything outside the Koan in
space or time.  Clearly, Koans can refer to colour, which is an
inherent property of the pieces.  However, a Rule that was suggested
was

A Koan has the buddha nature, if and only if it contains a stack whose
total pip value is the same as the number of letters in the colour of
the top-most pyramid in that stack.

Now, I would argue that that's NOT allowed by the rule, as it's
language dependent, and thus refers to something outside of the Koan -
i.e. language.  "Red" is an inherent property.  "R-E-D" is not, for it
would be different for French players: "R-O-U-G-E".

Am I right in making such a call?

Secondly, at ChiTag, Rabbits were giving their Rules a difficulty
rating of 1-10.  Is there a sanctioned list of example rules that has
official ratings, so that a) I can rate rules I invent better and b) I
can better invent rules for a particular rating?

Timothy